NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter – 14
- by Dev Bhardwaj
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter – 14 Chemical Effects of Electric Current
Q1. Fill in the blanks.
- Most liquids that conduct electricity are solutions of _______,_______and ______.
- The passage of an electric current through a solution causes _____ effects.
- If you pass current through copper sulphate solutions, copper gets deposited on the plate connected to the ________ terminal of the battery.
- The process of deposing a layer of any desired metal on another materials by means of electricity is called _________.
- Acids , Bases and Salt
Q2. When the free ends of a tester are dipped into a solution, the magnetic needle shows deflection
The deflection in the compass needle shows that current is flowing through the wounded wire and hence through the circuit. The circuit is complete since free ends of the tester are dipped in solution The solution is certainly a conducting solution. This is the reasons why the compass needle shows a deflection.
Q3. Name three liquids,which when tested in the manner shown in Figure 14.9 may cause the magnetic needle to deflect.
Liquids like lemon juice,salt water and mercury allow electricity to pass through them. Hence, these liquids can be used as in the beaker to show the given effect.
Q4. The bulb does not glow in the setup shown in Figure 14.10. List the possible reasons. Explain your answer.
The bulb may not glow because of the following reasons:
- Liquid in the beaker is non-conducting. In such case, the electric current would not be able to pass through the liquid . Hence, the circuit is not complete.
- Electric current in the circuit is very weak. This can happen if the material used for making the circuit is not a good conductor of electricity or the battery does not have sufficient energy to generate electricity.
Q5. A Tester is used to check the conduction of electricity through two liquids labelled A and B. It is found that the bulb of the tester glows brightly for liquid A while it glows very dimly for Liquids B. You would conclude that
- liquid A is a better conductor than liquids B.
- liquid B is a better conductor than liquid A.
- both liquids are equally conducting.
- Conducting properties of liquid cannot be compared in the manner.
- Liquid A is better conductor than liquid B.
Q6. Does pure water conduct electricity ? If not, what can we do make it conducting ?
No.Pure water does not conduct electricity. This is because pure water is devoid of any salts. Pure water can conduct electricity when a pinch of common salt is added to it, as salt solution is conducting in nature.
Q7. In case of a fire, before the firemen use the water hoses, they shut off the main electrical supply for the area. Explain why they do this.
Water may conduct electricity . If the electrical supply for the area is not not shut off and water is poured over electrical appliance, then electricity may pass through water and harm the firemen. That is why, in case of a fire, the firemen shut off the main electrical supply for the area before they use the water hoses.
Q8. A child staying in a coastal region tests the drinking water and also the seawater with his tester. He finds that the compass needle deflects more in the case of seawater. Can you explain the reason?
Sea water contains more dissolved salts the the drinking water. Hence it is more conducting than the drinking water. Because of his reason, the compass needle deflects more in seawater than in the drinking water.
Q9. Is it safe for the electrician to carry out electrical repairs outdoors during heavy downpour? Explain.
No. It is not safe to repair electrical appliances outdoors during heavy downpour. This is because rain water contains dissolved salts. Therefore, rain water can conduct electricity The electrician may get electrical shock while working outdoors during rain.
Q10. Paheli had heard that rain water is as good as distilled water. So, she collected some rain water in a clean glass tumbler and tested it using a tester. To her surprise, she found that the compass needle showed deflection. What could be the reasons ?
Rain water contains dissolved salts. This makes it conducting solution Thee are no dissolved salts present in the distilled water. Hence , rain water can allow electricity to pass through it while distilled water cannot.
Q11. Prepare a list of objects around you that are electroplate.
Examples of electroplated objects are as follows:
- Chromium plating is done n different parts of cars,buses and motorcycles to give them shiny appearance.
- A fine layer of gold is deposited on the silver ornaments and they are called gold – plated ornaments.
- Iron used in constructing a building is coated with a layer of zinc. This protects irons from corrosion and rusting.
Q12. The process that you saw in activity 14.7 is used for purification of cooper. A thin plate of pure copper and a thick rod of copper are used as electrodes. Copper from impure rod is sought to be transformed to the thin copper plate. Which electrode should be attached to the positive terminal of the battery and why?
Copper ion is positively charged. It is attracted towards the plate which is connected to the negative terminal of the battery. As copper ions are transferred to the thin copper plate, this thin pure copper plat must be connected to the negative terminal of the battery.
Consequently , impure copper rod is connected to the positive terminal of the battery.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter – 14 Chemical Effects of Electric Current Q1. Fill in the blanks. Most…
- RPSC RAS Recruitment 2021: 988 रिक्तियों के लिए अधिसूचना जारी / अंतिम तिथि – 27.08.2021(postpone)
- UKSSSC Recruitment 2021: कार्टोग्राफर और सर्वेयर ऑनलाइन फॉर्म / अंतिम तिथि – 16.09.2021
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Math Chapter – 7 Exercise – 7.1
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Math Chapter – 5 Exercise – 5.1
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 MATH Chapter – 7 Exercise – 7.2
- NCR RRC Recruitment 2021: प्रयागराज अपरेंटिस ऑनलाइन फॉर्म / अंतिम तिथि – 01.09.2021
- CBSE 10th Result 2021 Date-Latest News On CBSE 10 Result
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Math Chapter – 6 Exercise – 6.6
- JAC 12th Result 2021: Date, Jharkhand Board Arts Science Commerce
- Kamika Ekadashi 2021: सावन मास की पहली एकादशी 4 अगस्त को है जाने शुभ मुहूर्त और पारण का समय
- Mata Laxmi Upay लक्ष्मी माता की कृपा पाने केलिए इन 10 उपाय करने वाले हो जाते है. मालामाल।
- GSEB HSC Result 2021: Date Arts, Commerce , Topper List
- MP Board 12th Result 2021: Class 12 Result Declared
- CPCB Recruitment 2021: निजी सचिव और वरिष्ठ तकनीकी पर्यवेक्षक पद / अंतिम तिथि – 30.08.2021
- Ministry of Defence Recruitment 2021: 458 ट्रेड्समैन मेट, जोए, एमए पदों के लिए आवेदन करें / अंतिम तिथि – 06.08.2021
- Rajshree Lottery Result today live 29-07-2021
- Mizoram State Lottery Today live 29-7-2021
- Arunchal pradesh lottery result live 29-7-2021
- Sunlott Lottery Result Today 29th July 2021
- Kerala lottery result today 29-7-2021
- Lottery Sambad 29.07.2021 result 11.55 AM/ 4 pm/ 8 PM
- Admit Card
- Bharkhadi Hindi
- Board Results
- Company Law
- Dry Fruits
- Games download
- Hindi Varnmala/हिदी वर्णमाला
- Income Tax
- latest sarkari yojana
- Learn English
- Learn Hindi
- LIC Policy
- NCERT Solutions
- Tour travel
- vart kathaye
- Vegetable & Fruit name english or hindi
- घरेलु नुस्खे
- फलों के फायदे
- सरकारी योजना
- हिंदी व्याकरण