NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter – 1 Crop Production and Management
- by Dev Bhardwaj
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter – Crop Production and Management
Q1. Select the correct word from the following list and fill in the blanks.
Float , Water , Crop , Nutrient , Preparation
- The same kind of plants grown and cultivated on a large scale at a place is called __________.
- The first step before growing crops is _______ of the soil.
- Damaged seeds would ______ on top of water.
- For growing a crop, sufficient sunlight and _______ and ________ from the soil are essential.
- The same kinds of plants grown and cultivated on large scale at a place is called the
- The first step before growing crops is the preparation of the soil.
- Damaged seeds would float on top of water
- For growing a crop, sufficient sunlight and water and nutrients from the soil are essential.
Q2. Match items in column A with those in Column B.
|(i) Kharif crops||(a) Food for cattle|
|(ii) Rabi crops||(b) Urea and superhosphate|
|(iii) Chemical fertilisers||(c) Animal excreta , cow dung urine and plant wastes|
|(iv) Organic manure||(d)Wheat , gram , pea|
|(e) Paddy and maize|
|(i) Kharif crops.||( e ) Paddy and maize.|
|(ii) Rabi crops||( d ) Wheat, gram ,pea|
|(iii) Chemical fertilisers||( b ) Urea and superphosphate.|
|(iv) Organic manure||( c ) Animal excreta , cow dung urine and plant wastes.|
Q3. Give two examples of each.
- Kharif crop
- Rabi crops
Kharif crops – Paddy and maize.
Rabi crops – Wheat and Pea.
Q4. Write a paragraph in your own words on each of the following.
- Preparation of soil
- Preparation of soil is the first step in agriculture. Preparation of the soil is done to loosen the soil, which is essential for the root penetration into the Soil. This allows the roots to breathe easily. Loosening of the soil allows the growth of earthworms and microorganisms , which will help to keep the soil fertile by adding humus to the soil. Loosening of soil also brings nutrient – rich soil to the top layer, which is essential for the growth of plants.
- Sowing is an important process in crop production. First healthy seeds are selected before sowing. After selecting healthy seeds sowing is done by either traditional methods or by using equipment seed drill.
( c ) Removal of unneccesary plants from the field is called weeding. Weeds compete with crop plants for nutrients and water. This will reduce the yield of the desired crops. Weeds also interfere while harvesting and gets mixed with crops . Some weeds are poisonous to animals and humans . Tilling is a common method which helps removal of weeds before sowing crops, manual methods like physical removal of plants are used to remove weeds. Weedicides are sprayed to get rid of weeds but this method may affect the health of farmers because of chemicals used as weedicides.
( d ) Process of separating the chaff from the crop is known as threshing Threshing is carried by a machine called ‘ combine’ which is a harvester as well as thresher. Threshing is also done by winnowing where to blow of wind is used to separate the chaff from crops.
Q5. Explain how fertilisers are different from manure.
|Fertilizers is an inorganic substance.||Manure is an organic substances.|
|Fertilizers are prepared artificially.||Manure is obtained by decomposition of animal plant human waste|
|Prepared in factories.||Prepared in fields.|
|Does not provide Humus to the soil.||Provide humus to the soil.|
|Rich in plant nutrients.||Relatively less plant nutrients.|
|Long terms usage has adverse effects o soil.||Long term usage improves soil fertility.|
Q6. What is irrigation ? Describe two methods of irrigation which conserve water.
The supply of water to crops at regular intervals is called irrigation.
Method of irrigation which conserve water are
Drip irrigation: Here the water goes drop directly into the roots this method is very useful as it conserves the water and also helps in avoiding weeds.
Sprinkle system: This method is in use in mainly uneven land where sufficient water is not available. The perpendicular pipes , having rotating nozzles on top , are joined to the main pipeline at regular intervals. When water is allowed to flow through the main pipe under pressure with the help of a pump, it escapes from the rotating nozzles. It gets sprinkled on the crop as if it is raining.
Q7. If wheat is sown in the Kharif season , what would happen ? Discuss.
Wheat crops may get destroyed if sown in Kharif season because of unfavourable temperature, pests and adaptable conditions for the plants to grow. Kharif come during the rainy season , hence it is not a wise idea to grow wheat in Kharif season.
Q8. Explain how soil gets affected by the continuous plantation of crops in a field.
Plants require nutrients for their growth. Without optimum nutrients plants will die. Continuous plantation of crops result in depletion of certain nutrients like Nitrogen , Phosphorus Potassium etc. This results in the decreases of yield due to loss of nutrients hence there should be a gap between crops in order to get a good yield.
Q9. What are weeds ? How can we control them ?
In a field many other undesirable plants may grow naturally along with the crop. These undesirable plants are called weeds . Weeds can be controlled by methods called weeding. Trilling before sowing of crops helps in uprooting and killing of weeds, which may then dry up and get fixed with the soil. Weeds are also controlled by using certain chemicals called weedicides.
Q10. Arrange the following boxes in proper order to make a flow chart of sugarcane crop production.
Q11. Complete the following word puzzle with the help of clues given below.
- Keeping crop grains for a long time under proper conditions.
- Keeping crop grains for a long time under proper conditions.
- Certain plants of the same kind grown on a large scale.
- A machine used for cutting the matured crop.
- A rabi crop that is also one of the pulses.
6.A process of separating the grain from chaff.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter – Crop Production and Management Q1. Select the correct word from the following…
- RPSC RAS Recruitment 2021: 988 रिक्तियों के लिए अधिसूचना जारी / अंतिम तिथि – 27.08.2021(postpone)
- UKSSSC Recruitment 2021: कार्टोग्राफर और सर्वेयर ऑनलाइन फॉर्म / अंतिम तिथि – 16.09.2021
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Math Chapter – 7 Exercise – 7.1
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Math Chapter – 5 Exercise – 5.1
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 MATH Chapter – 7 Exercise – 7.2
- NCR RRC Recruitment 2021: प्रयागराज अपरेंटिस ऑनलाइन फॉर्म / अंतिम तिथि – 01.09.2021
- CBSE 10th Result 2021 Date-Latest News On CBSE 10 Result
- NCERT Solutions For Class 10 Math Chapter – 6 Exercise – 6.6
- JAC 12th Result 2021: Date, Jharkhand Board Arts Science Commerce
- Kamika Ekadashi 2021: सावन मास की पहली एकादशी 4 अगस्त को है जाने शुभ मुहूर्त और पारण का समय
- Mata Laxmi Upay लक्ष्मी माता की कृपा पाने केलिए इन 10 उपाय करने वाले हो जाते है. मालामाल।
- GSEB HSC Result 2021: Date Arts, Commerce , Topper List
- MP Board 12th Result 2021: Class 12 Result Declared
- CPCB Recruitment 2021: निजी सचिव और वरिष्ठ तकनीकी पर्यवेक्षक पद / अंतिम तिथि – 30.08.2021
- Ministry of Defence Recruitment 2021: 458 ट्रेड्समैन मेट, जोए, एमए पदों के लिए आवेदन करें / अंतिम तिथि – 06.08.2021
- Rajshree Lottery Result today live 29-07-2021
- Mizoram State Lottery Today live 29-7-2021
- Arunchal pradesh lottery result live 29-7-2021
- Sunlott Lottery Result Today 29th July 2021
- Kerala lottery result today 29-7-2021
- Lottery Sambad 29.07.2021 result 11.55 AM/ 4 pm/ 8 PM
- Admit Card
- Bharkhadi Hindi
- Board Results
- Company Law
- Dry Fruits
- Games download
- Hindi Varnmala/हिदी वर्णमाला
- Income Tax
- latest sarkari yojana
- Learn English
- Learn Hindi
- LIC Policy
- NCERT Solutions
- Tour travel
- vart kathaye
- Vegetable & Fruit name english or hindi
- घरेलु नुस्खे
- फलों के फायदे
- सरकारी योजना
- हिंदी व्याकरण