NCERT Solution class 6 Science Chapter-3
CHAPTER – 3
IN THE EARLIEST CITIES
- How do archaeologists know that colth was used in the Harappan civilisation?
ANS 1 :-
Archaeologists have found spindles from the excavation sites. Presence of spindles shows that people knew how to make cloths that people in the Harapan civilization used cloth.
- Match the columns
ANS 2 :-
- Copper i) Rajasthan
- Gold ii) Karnataka
- Tin iii) Afghanistan
- Precious stones iv) Gujarat
- Why wre metals, writing, the wheel and the plough important for the Harappans?
ANS 3 :-
Metals , writing the wheel and the plough were important for the Harappans in
- Make a list of all the terracotta toys shown in the lesson. Which do you think children would have enjoyed playing with the most ?
ANS 4 :-
Animals figures, model cart and plough are some of the terracotta toys mentioned in this lesson. I think, children would have like playing with the model cart the most.
- Make a list of what the Harappans ate, and put a tick mark against the things you eat today.
ANS 5 :-
The people of Harappans ate various kinds of grains [rice , wheat , barley, pulses, mustard etc.] fruits, fish , meat and milk. Most of these things we eat even today. At present; we eat rice, wheat, pulses, fish, meat and milk. Barley is used barely by us.
Do you think the life of farmers and herders who supplied food to the Harappan cities was different from that of the farmers and herders you read about in Chapter 2? give reasons for your answer.
ANS 6 :-
In chapter 2, discussion is mainly on rural people. But in this chapter, the discussion is mainly on urban people. In both the cases; farmers and herder did the same type of work. But their group was much bigger in case of the Harappan cities. Their work could have been more organized; compared to what it was in earlier societies. Farmers and herders mainly prouduced for their own use. But in case of the Harappan cities ; the farmers and herders sold their surplus production.